Dear Creative Writing Students,
Below is a list of our awards for the spring 2017 semester. If you would like to submit for any of the following, you must first fill out this Google form:
Then, you must email your actual work to email@example.com. The deadline to submit for the awards is Monday March 22, 2017.
Please be sure to take advantage of this prestigious opportunity. Not only do some students win cash prizes for their work, but winners will also be honored at graduation. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I wish you all the best of luck!
Sabrina Del Piano
Academy of American Poets 2017 Enid Dame Memorial Poetry Prize
Dedicated to the art of poetry, the Academy publishes prize-winning poems, and a plan is underway for an annual supplement focusing on the prizes.
- Open to all undergraduates
- Maximum of 5 poems may be submitted
- $100 prize for best poem(s)
Evelyn Hamilton Award in Creative Writing
- Open to all undergraduates
- Awarded for the best original story, essay, or group of three or more poems
- *Please label works as essay, fiction, or poetry*
- May have been written for a course or independently
- Notes and/or drafts should be submitted with the final entry
Composing in New Media Prize
- Open to students who have produced multimedia composition, documentary film, digital story, graphic narrative, or any work in new media
- This year’s prize is underwritten by Writers House
- Hand in submissions electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or on DVD to Murray Hall 102 or 106
Open Only to Undergraduate Women in New Brunswick:
Julia Carley Prize
Prize awarded for original poetry.
Edna Herzberg Prizes
Prizes awarded for an essay, for fiction, and for poetry.
*Please label works as essay, fiction, or poetry*
Awards and Contests for Coursework
James Suydam Prize in English Composition
- Open only to seniors
- Awarded to the best essay on a topic of the writer’s choice of contemporary social, political, or educational significance
- Minimum length 5 pages
Ernest W. Thomas Memorial Prize for Interpretation of Shakespearean Works
- Open only to Douglass Residential College Students
- Awarded to the best paper submitted for a regular course assignment concerning Shakespeare’s works
Irving D. Blum Prize
- Awarded for the best essay submitted for a regular course assignment
- Essays may be in original form or revised, but should be retyped and free of instructor’s marks and comments
- Submit through the instructor for whom it was originally written
English Department Faculty Prize
- Awarded to an outstanding essay written in coursework
- Essays of 1,000 to 4,500 words are eligible and will be judged on substance and style
Jamima Dingus Qualls Prize
- Awarded to the best undergraduate essay on women writers or feminist issues in English or American Literature
Toni Cade Bambara Prize in African American Literature
- Open to English majors in the Junior year that have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and have taken two or more African American literature courses
- Submit a paper written to fulfill a course assignment AND a brief personal statement describing how your work in and out of class exemplifies ideals associated with Toni Cade Bambara
Winners will be invited to showcase their work at the Spring Creativity Showcase in April.
The English Department reserves the right not to give a prize or award if no entries are judged to be of sufficiently high quality.